2 Packaging: Initial sketches and Colour scheme

It was while I was shopping for examples of bad/mundane packaging that I found the box of sweet samosas. To start off I made sketches of the shapes that I could use and the materials that would be suitable.

I decided on a metal tin box (cirucalar or hexagonal/octagonal) since paper would absorb the grease and be impractical. Glass is fragile, so metal seemed the best, it’s reusable and recyclable.

I picked these languages:
english
hindi
arabic
malayalam

English and arabic were obvious. I wanted to include hindi since a lot of the people that would be interested in these samosas (in Qatar) would be hind speaking people, the next most common spoken languange (and target buyer) would be malayalam speaking people. I considered Tagalog, but the script for tagalog and english is the same, so I thought it wasn’t necessary.

I picked typefaces that have modulating stroke weights, since when I tested typefaces that have a constant stroke weight, it didn’t look very appealing. The modulated strokes  look more desi, or ethnic/traditional. Especially when you look at Latin type, it looks more like food. It’s hard to explain but the modulating stroke weights reminded me of flavorful Indian food.

IMG_0840
I discussed my initial sketches with the professors and they suggested that I try organising the type in a less typical way i.e not aligning it with the edge. If I worked just in black and white, it would help I also needed to pick better for the arabic and hindi type. They didn’t match the english and malayalam very well, the arabic looked too formal and rigid. I was easily able to find a better match in arabic, finding one in Hindi was harder because of the limited number of choices, but also because of the rigid nature of the script itself. I was able to get closer matches:
IMG_0889
^
 I needed to work on a colour scheme to organise my type better, since it was really busy with not a great enough sense of hierarchy. I tried a maximalist style, where I was inspired by broadsides to really fill in the lid with type, but it didn’t work out. It was too busy and chaotic.

Colour schemes:
IMG_0853
I really really struggled with picking my colours. I found palettes on Pinterest, design-seeds.com and got some inspiration from Rangolis/Kolam. In fact, the colour palette I ended up choosing was from a rangoli design. There were two I really liked (the two in the bottom centre of the image). One looked too artificial, lemony and neon. It gave the flavour of zest. I was attracted to it because it had green, and I was biased towards green throughout the process of choosing colours because I was focused on the pistachio filling of the samosas.

It was after I broke away from the notion of the colour scheme needing to be literal that I finally decided on the colour, and bright colour scheme.
IMG_0888
^
 Next came matching the shade of the spray painted tin (courtesy of Quality Street) with the colour on the screen. It wasn’t simply a matter of using the eyedropper tool, since a photograph of the tin didn’t capture the actual colour. And I couldn’t just work from the screen, so I printed loads of sample palettes and used lots of paper to get a print as close to the colour of the tin as possible.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s