Something that I wanted to experiment with, which I hadn’t done earlier, was using paper and lighting to create shadows:
After spending a while experimenting with this direction I decided to work on the other direction. It looked different, but it didn’t spark anything new. There was also no concept for this direction. where I experiment with the scanning technique, mixed with a crowd.
I moved on to where I experimented with the scanning technique, mixed with a crowd. I also took my idea of strings further, where before I was simply combining the strings with gestural drawings to focusing on the strings. I composited a clump of strings with a football, to focus less on a player and more on the energy and movement of the football itself.
The feedback that I got from Nada at first was that the concept of the bright scans looked too much like a party. Focusing on the audience was a different perspective, but a footballer in place of the crowd would tie the direction back to football. The direction of the string looked very interesting, but again, it needed to be pushed further.
The feedback that I got from Theodora was on a similar vein.
The difference was that Nada’s feedback made the audience direction sound like it could be worked with. But from the way Theodora had critiqued everyone’s work, it seemed like she wanted us to focus on the players. Again it’s difficult to say from a typed sentence, but throughout the feedback document she mentioned showing the dynamism of players.
This was when I made the decision to stop the direction of the scanned sheets. I knew I didn’t want to add a football player into that style, because it would resemble a lot of the typical posters that already exist.
I decided to focus on the strings idea, and push it further.