I began by experimenting with a variety of things ranging from markers, paints, strings to working on paper and plastic/transperent sheets. I tried techniques like smearing, drawing neatly, gestural drawings. Most of my experiments were 2D, even relatively 3D ones (work with string), was flat enough to be scanned.
Once I’d created the scans I was stuck about what I planned to do with them. All I could think of was to go back into photoshop and start layering the different scans over each other using blending modes.
Despite some of my experiments looking good on their own as scans, when I manipulated them further, it didn’t look as good, for example the streaks of black paint.
When I talked to the professor and Barbara about, they seemed to see the ‘bright’ effects as the most promising. These were the ones I made by scanning clear sheets from a distance, so that the light reflecting off it got scanned. Moving the sheet in different ways also created bright ‘streaks’ or waves. Compositing these (basically using the blending modes) created more ‘dynamic’ looks:
An idea that I was given was that instead of simply placing a player on the bright streaks (which has probably been done before) I could consider different aspects of football. I thought about the energy of the crowd. It would be a different perspective: illustrating the energy and excitement and dynamism of the audiences cheering for their team.