8 Signage: Putting it all together (dealing with hiccups)

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 12.05.52 AM
^
 I finished cutting my strips of felt only to find that 37 fit on the wood and 3 strips didn’t. I recalculated everything and found nothing wrong with my calculations. I considered altering my design; removing the arrow or shortening it, but there was no aesthetic way to do that. After inspecting closely I realised what the problem was. Most of my strips were just 2 or 3mm off of 1.5 cm. That was it. Millimetres made the huge difference. Thus began the journey of recutting every single piece again (remeasuring and trimming). So much pain. A friend rubbed salt on open wounds as said “measure twice, cut once”. Thanks…Anyway, buy the time I was done all of them fit and I had room to spare.

Problems with the weaving was that strips of wood that had a lot of felt strips folding over and under them popped out more than the rest of the wood.

Another problem that occured that I didn’t realise at all was that I couldn’t weave the horizontal metal strip through a horizontal piece of wood. To do that I should have divided the wood strip or created slits in it. Here I altered my design slightly to have the metal cover the wooden parts and go under the felt inside type, mostly because I could solve the problem in no other way at this point:
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 12.06.42 AM
^Considered using wood glue to glue the wood pieces together, but it would be difficult to clamp them together if I was just gluing the sides and with felt it could get really messy.

 


Final day of working I decided to get advice on how to fix the gap problem:Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.25.24 AM
^ It was suggested that I simply screw the wood pieces into the board in the back (for which I needed to get a thicker board). Picture on the top right is the first ever screw that I ever drilled and put in place all by myself. I used the drill bit, the screwing attachment thing AND the part that makes a sinkhole! Achievements! These tiny achievements can make me feel better than the sign itself. I thought I could get away with 1 screw in most pieces of wood, but most needed 2, if not 3, because of the way the plywood warped. I can now proudly say that I can use 2 types of drills. I no longer use them like an amateur (I think).

Screwing the wood pieces in place meant that I didn’t need to glue most of the felt into place, it was held into place by the wood. I did, however, use dots of super glue on some of the excess parts of felt. I didn’t glue all the way to the edges, leaving them as ‘loose’ edges, to give a less-controlled, more organic feel. My only concern was that once it was vertical, the flaps on top would flop down, because of gravity. They didn’t, they would only do so if someone purposely moved them. This design choice also let me drill the sign up, and hide the screws behind the flaps:
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 12.08.43 AM
^
Far right, Amreen’s sign being put up.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s