Going by the suggestions that I got last time, I used colour palettes to help me pick a colour scheme. I have 5 chapters, so a 5 colour palette makes sense (I was suggested to look at analogous colours). Usually I would go to paletton.com (which only gives RGB colours) this time I found another colour palette tool online, called Kuler (from Adobe). Some of the schemes I picked:
I also tried to open my chapters with the chapter colour bleeding completely from the top. I was suggested to use a chunk of colour. That didn’t seem to work very well, to my eyes, it looked too plain and solid. I wanted to open up the space a bit so I experimented with different ways to open the chapter:
^ I finally decided on one of the bluish colour schemes. The monotone blue colour scheme wasn’t good because there was barely any difference between the blues, the chapters weren’t distinct enough from each other. The very colourful, red, blue, green, purple and yellow colour scheme seemed very childish. It looked unprofessional to me, this kind of look didn’t suit the slim (narrow) book size. Since narrow pages are typically seen in very posh situations, I went for the more subdued colour scheme that ranged from purple, to blue, to teals and greens.
^ tried different ways to create consistency in the openings. I knew I had to keep the size of the colour block consistent. To do that I decided to limit my opening definition paragraphs to 4 lines. The colour black also didn’t suit on the coloured part as much as white. I had to check through all the colours of the chapters to make sure the white would be visible on them. If I had been using the more colourful scheme, white wouldn’t have shown up on the yellow. I also added ‘tabs’ on the right edge of the pages (so that they are visible on the edge). I decided the shape by halving the width of the margin, otherwise it touched the illustrations.
^ I altered my colours to match the colour scheme, but in some cases, like this one, the illustration ended up losing aesthetic if I did that, so I reverted to the grayscale colours for those ones.
^ For some illustrations (like calligraphy), creating my own version from scratch would have taken too long so I replicated the example I had exactly, changing the colour to match my scheme.
The feedback I got was relatively simple. I needed to simplify my folios more, they were taking up too much space. I could utilise the space in the top of the pages, or I could make the page number smaller. I also needed to work more on my illustrations and their organisation.b
The illustrations are too sporadic and it’s difficult to see which illustration is for which definition. The captions need to be organised better. Basically, I need to have a stronger system for the pages. Something more consistent. I thought consistency would look very boring, but at this point it just looks untidy. Apart from that, the spacing in my text needs to be adjusted too. There is a gutters worth of space between the word and its definition (which is too much), and there isn’t enough space between the definitions.
^ I also had the idea of creating actual tabs, as ways to make it easier to find and turn to each section. Apparently it was very complicated and annoying to do by hand. Other than that, the way I had made my tabs also didn’t make sense (despite following the margin and gridlines). I need to shorten them maybe.