Arduino – Circuits, soldering and interaction (work on Final)

IMG_9428
^ This was something that helped me get the concept of how the bread board worked. I didn’t get why in some way of connecting the LED would light up and in another it wouldn’t, even if both the ends were touching the same wire. This way of seeing the wires helped me understand if both the wires are touching the same wire the current will go straight through the wire and not through the LED.

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.38.04 AM
^
 We were reviewing the concepts that we had read in the book. While we did that I fiddled with the hardware. The book had explained how to create a parallel circuit with multiple switches. I took it further, creating police sirens…

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.38.37 AM
^
 then yellow. And green, because why not.

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.38.59 AM
^ What I noticed was that adding the resistor made the difference of making the lights a better colour (not insanely bright)

KudfE
^
 After the introduction to sensors and how to use them in combination with the analog pins, we were left to fiddle with sensors. Eman and I instead chose to fiddle with a reed switch (controlled by magnets). Mostly because the magnets were the coolest/strongest magnets we had ever seen.

The fancy diagram above actually wasn’t very helpful at all. It didn’t result in anything. It was so unsuccessful that we were doubting whether the black thing we had was even a reed switch or not.

I decided to simplify the circuit. It worked! :

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.37.45 AM

 


Soldering practice:

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 1.15.10 AM

The reason we had to do this was so that we could transfer our wires from the Arduino back to the Rainbowduino, so that we could control our animations with the sensors and switches:

^ My initial thought for the final. I wanted to control the speed of the spaceship.

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 10.54.52 AM< I used the code he gave us, but altered the limits slightly, to get a maximum speed that looked believable.

I experimented with a ‘piezo element’ initially, which controlled vibrations. It played the frames randomly because vibrations would range suddenly. I wanted to be more adventurous and use the sensor that apparently electrocuted students. The flex sensors. It took a while and some research but the basic concept behind wiring the sensors was the same for all of them.

Other sensors I tried out:

A61nl
^
 I followed a more complex circuit than this one initially (with resistors) but again, the simpler one worked better. With the resistor the readings didn’t range well.

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.39.19 AM

^ It was after trying the range sensor that I had the idea of using my animation for the Scream. The closer someone got to the sensor, the closer the face would get to the screen. It was programming this that was the problem. Controlling the ranges in which I want a specific frame to show needed extra coding:

I knew I needed if functions, except I didn’t know how to have multiple in one:

hnttW < this wasn’t how you ladder if functions

w2lWp <This got me error messages as well

PLHuf
^
 I double checked online for reference. For some reason having a semi-colon before the ‘else’ was the problem, removing it fixed it:

rVBPY

 

Next I had to figure out my ranges. I wanted certain frames to play at certain ranges, but if anything was above 200, it would show the initial frame (which was 5th because I reversed the order). This didn’t work. I realised why (I needed to delete the constraint):

0enmt

How the distance worked:

IMG_9666 IMG_9667 IMG_9670 IMG_9672 IMG_9673

^ I simplified my frames to just 5 frames, otherwise the motion of the mouth opening gradually looked odd because of the way the readings would fluctuate.


Last lesson to work on the interactive arduinos. I spent it figuring out my numbers (i had to keep in mind the width of the corridor). Other than that I was advised to remove the background of the Scream and just focus on the person. The speed at which the zooming in happened sometimes made it difficult to see what was happening, so the extra info was confusing. The rest of the lesson  I spent rewiring the screen and sensor sans-breadboard and mounting it.

Had to do short programming to flip the image because of the way I was wiring my sensor:

zW57t

IMG_9696
^
 This layout was meant to hold the wires in place (I didn’t want them coming in front of the sensor). Instead it looked like I was doing a bad job at hiding the wires.

This worked much better. I held the wires in place by using double sided tape under them – made it invisible:

IMG_9700

And we’re done^

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s