We had to have a rough by the next lesson, so all the information and definitions, illustrations that we have so far. Basically, everything we have so far, in the type system and categories that we thought of.
Initially, I got a heart attack (figuratively) when my main fonts for my type system, Century and Akzidenze Grotesk were ‘missing’:
^ It took me a while to realise that this was because I had closed fontExplorer. For some reason, for InDesign to read the fonts that I got from the VCU server, I had to have fontExplorer running at the same time as InDesign.
Next came figuring out my categories. I knew I wanted it alphabetical initially, but from a designer’s perspective, or a beginner’s, someone that wants to know about a certain aspect of Typography would want to have it sectioned in that way. So I made my own categories, some words were easier to categorise than others:
^ The fact that widows, indents and alignment would go into a paragraph category made sense. But where would footnote, endnote and leader go??? paragraph? Layout? Or did I need to make a new category altogether?
These were my categories:
^ I have one main definition as the chapter starter, a definition that covers everything else that will appear in the chapter after it.
For example, In the chapter called ‘laying out type’, layout seems the most obvious to start with. It gives an introduction of sorts to the chapter. Then words like grid, baseline grid and gutter all come under layout. These words should appear next to each other since they are similar, they won’t appear near footer, footnote and header (which appear together).
The professors had told us to make a rough, but had mentioned how they weren’t telling us an ‘easy’ way to do it, which they’ll tell us next time, because otherwise we won’t appreciate it. Based on what the professors had mentioned earlier, I figured that they are probably talking about ‘flowing’ the text. I wasn’t sure how to do it but my friend (Amira) seemed to know how it was done. I created two Word Documents, one for the definition names, and one for the actual definitions so that I flowed them separately (in separate boxes):
^ I did this because I felt like it will give me more control with my spacing. This way I can align the key words and definitions to the grid, otherwise if they were in one box, it’s almost impossible to do that.
^ Despite creating my categories I decided to include an index at the end. For people that know exactly what they want to look for in the manual and can find it quickly. A decision I made was to not use the same typeface as my folio for these numbers. On the left is the serifed Century for the numbers. The right version looked better, mostly because directly next to the san-serif words, the serifed numbers didn’t look good. They clashed, two very different things next to each other.
I also started creating my illustrations:
^ They were more difficult than I thought. Even though I had an example of how to illustrate anti-aliasing, trying to replicate that on illustrator took more effort than I thought it would.
Then there were moments where I had to figure out how to align the illustrations to type. Should the numbers be scaled down in that way or will that confuse the reader and make them think that the lowercase x is that big compared to the numbers?
^ I attempted to make my illustrations ‘lighter’ as well, by making them grey. I tried other colours like blue but I don’t think they worked as well.
^ when aligning things to the grid should I align the box to the lines or the baseline? It’s things like this that confuse me when it comes to using the grid. How do you use it? Align the descenders, the baseline, or the edges of the box?
^ I’m struggling with a colour scheme. Should I make it grayscale? Here I made the quotation marks a darker grey than the words inside them, but It barely showed in the printout, so a grayscale colour scheme seems like it won’t work.
In class we looked at how to create and use a baseline grid. It seemed simple, but I didn’t exactly understand the ‘start’ part. Later I understood that that sets the hangline, while the increments are the leading of the grid (which need to match the body text).
I didn’t like the way it looked. The grid put a lot of distance between the keyword and the definition if I used it with the page grid.
I showed my rough during the discussion:
Things I had to keep in mind was that the distance between my definitions needed to be more consistent. Apart from that my folio was still distracting, despite me lightening it. When looking at my failed attempts to follow a colour scheme I was recommended to use a colour picker tool. While talking about colour, the idea of using the colours to organise the chapters came up. I was suggested to use colours for chapters, or as tabs.