MeYouUsThem: Composing – is difficult

Getting things to flow is difficult. Really difficult. Mostly because there are so many things to  consider. The forms, colours, concepts AND we had to include images, colours and type (keywords). We’d been given rules by the professors about the amount of each needed, but by the end of it those didn’t matter. Different systems worked for different people.

Initially I picked out colours from my robot (blue,red,pink) to make a composition of the bands of colours. It ended up looking like a rainbow. Another thing I considered was a monotone, black and white look. It seemed too dull for my images.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.26.45 AM
^A life saving thing my professor showed me was that I could easily edit my photos colours and add shapes to them in InDesign directly. I could change blending modes of coloured layers, making it easy to get cohesive and flowing images (at least in terms of colour). The different types of images in the bottom left are simply a difference in the blending mode.

At times it became necessary for me to make a completely new image. Which took TIME:
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.46.53 AM copy
I looked at what colours I was missing i my composition. I didn’t have enough of pink and yellow, red. I tried red. red looks like the flag of japan, or dice. I moved on to pink and yellow, even blue. Blue seemed to work best, but a combination of pink and yellow was ‘pretty’/aesthetic. I even tried overlapping the shapes but overlapping colors was too complex. At the end, I got my friends to help me choose. Yellow stripes it was.

Something that really bothered me. The green color in rgb is beautiful. I can’t make it bright in cmyk.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.25.08 AM

Next came considering the keywords.

I used the keywords from my morphological chart and cut them down further, to pick words that helped guide the viewer to/around the concept.

I considered things like what typeface to use and what setting to keep it at.

buzz – oblique? to make it look like buzz. but chose san serif and medium to make it look ‘boring’, since in type they told us that layering meanings could look redundant
puzzles
suspense
sister
weird
curious
cool
build

I thought that just one word could be effective: buzz in one corner, but realised it was not enough to get the concepts, technological and buzz? The word puzzles made more sense and it was onomatopoeic for a buzz. build and puzzles? just puzzles? I began to simplify my ‘bands’ into white, yellow, blue, green, red (with blacks going through all the way. This was mostly because my other colour scheme looked too much like a rainbow.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.28.49 AM

pink eye not working – blue looks better. But it also looks bruised?

Then it came to choosing the type for my word. It was between bembo and bodoni? I decided on bodoni. It had more contrast with the san serif font. Higher contrast between thicks and thins of the type. I thought it looked like the robot more.


But when it came to discussing with the professors it looked too old fashioned to match my context. Even the word puzzle sounded old school/archaic and had a strong image attached to it. I decided on changing my keywords to curious, build, suspense. With just one word, getting the concept for a random viewer wouldn’t be easy. 

I found that the type works better with type closer to all the ‘action’, formal complexities (near the edge that’s closer to the image instead of in the centre).

Another thing we discussed was that there was too much color and too many forms. There was so much variety in my choice of images that it became too much…wow. 

Suggestions I got to make a more organised grid was firstly to limit my colour palette. Also, I could group them into quadrants of colors. I could separate the colour groups using chunks of black or have rows of forms.


Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.29.41 AM

^Tried getting some kind of quadrants of colour. My friends agreed that it wasn’t the best.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.31.12 AM Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.31.32 AM

^chunks of black looks best to me. I don’t know whether I want the square forms to be tangible or not (it could be suspenseful it the blacks kept bleeding into some of the images?). For the type, I chose a simple sanserif font. I had moments like this one while working where I realised that the word suspense is too close to the yellow, so I moved it to the left. I also saw that when it’s not in any visible square (when it’s in black) it makes it look odd, so I aligned it to the grid.


Discussing how to print using epson:

  • 11 different inks (2 blacks, photo black or matt black – different for the pages takes time to clean it and can waste ink?)
  • need to choose right settings
  • automatically cuts
  • fit to size – slightly smaller

SETTINGS:

  • -usb drive, copy to computer (large file)-thawspace/desktop
  • -acrobat
  • Print cycle:
  • -vertical (most of the time its horizontal)
  • -file – print
  • printer – epson stylus pro, 99100
  • advanced – color management – color profile – epson stylus pro 99100 premium semi gloss photo paper 250.

-print printer page setup (click printer)

  • layout – print settings – roll ppr – media type (photo paper – premium semi gloss 250)

-page setup

  • paper size, ignore – manage custom sizes – sophomore poster 24inchx35inch

-fit (click fit).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s