3D – printing! And using 3D sculpt

Today is the day the 3D printer arrived…

but before the fun part:

export as stl – fine – the 3D printer doesn’t read the svg files, so we need to export it correctly and open up the correct files in the maker bot application and rescale and adjust settings from there (if we need to) to place it on the stage.

I had to pick one (even though my little sister had already decided which ones she wanted…):

3Dmodellingprintingblobcharacterdesign30

Favourite one:

3Dmodellingprintingblobcharacterdesign31

The only person who was super ready with his file (from the previous lesson) was abdulla:

Now:

IMG_6336 IMG_6339 IMG_6341 IMG_6342 IMG_6343

^Abdulla’s ‘sad dino’.

Made me realise that the subtractions that I’d done for the mouths of my blobs were all too fine, I had to make it AT LEAST 3mm. I tried to simply scale the subtracted area:

3Dmodellingprintingblobgeometric00001

It ended up getting complicated and no pretty, so I just remade the mouth using another ellipse and extruding it more from the start. This was the version I gave for the first test print.

Experimenting with more interesting shapes (to see what I can do differently for the final):

3Dmodellingprintingblobcharacterdesign34< I really like this shape. Got used to using the align tool when making this.



3D sculpt – was using flatten to smooth cube edges..then found smooth tool.working with a cube is surprisingly easier than working with a spherical shape. 

As I kept working, it turned out that it actually wasn’t easier, because turning the cube shape into a rounded on was difficult.

I went back to working with a spherical shape and realised why the different base objects exist. I experimented with the ‘torus’ shape, and the ‘bust’ shape, mushing and sculpting (editing) the shapes to be blob-like was very difficult compared to working with a sphere. The file kept getting damaged.

I realised that this is most likely because the objects have a mesh underneath them (at least thats the explanation I gave myself), so the more dramatic changes I make to the ‘mesh’, the more likely it is to get damaged. For example, if I try folding the mesh over itself. Thinking about the software in this way was more helpful in avoiding damaged files. When I was treating it like an actual sculpting material, it was getting corrupted more often, I was expecting too much from it, I’d forgotten that is was still a software.

This way of thought also made me see that the way I was working so far: exaggerating the bulge I wanted and then smoothening it was WRONG.  That’s what you’d do with clay. Also, the smooth tool wasn’t my best friend. If I worked in details and used the smooth tool, it would smoothen out all my hard work! And this was at a lower than mid level strength.

I ended up working with very low strengths for the smooth tool AND for the pull tools (and a smaller brush size. The connection I made was that the brushes were similar to the brushes in Photoshop. The brushes, ‘hardness’ (strength in the case of the app) and size were both important in getting the effect need. I had to juggle between the 2 throughout my experimentation.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s