I printed on low matte, the colours printed out very bad. There was even a faint white outline on some of the letters. I decided to print again at size A1. I chose this size because A2 would not show the details of my work.
^ BIG difference in colour between each.
What I was the most happy about was that when I took my files for printing, Ibrahim (printing helper) asked me as soon as he saw it: You’re going traveling?
After I put my photos up another thing that made me feel like I had reached my goal was that a fellow student asked me whether I took the photograph of the whole word from a high top angle or not.
During the critique we talked about why knowing how to articulate our ideas is important. Why we should be able to explain why we picked one thing over another. We discussed the possibilities of when we could apply the things we learnt in this project, such as posters, advertisements, book covers or even in the title sequence of a movie.
When we first began I just filled my letters with objects. There was no context, no concept. When I did try to put context, euphoric for colourful rocks, it was a ‘closed conversation’, the meaning was too obvious. Once I started experimenting with my entire word, the importance of the concept became clearer. I understood the way I had to build a narrative into my word for it to be successful. Once I had arranged all the letters on just a background, the importance of context also became clear. It was impossible to get the idea of travel without visual cues that are more obviously to do with travelling (suitcase). This is where striking the balance between obvious and not too obvious was tricky.
Ending up at my final idea. Going from blindly experimenting to having a clear focus of building my letters was a struggle in itself. I went from footsteps to diaper and a lot of stuff in between to finally land on it. The photoshopping and putting the composition together was difficult to do. Mostly because of the last minute problems I faced. And, because I had to get help on how to make something that is photoshopped, not look like it’s photoshopped.
What I learnt:
In this project I learned a lot of things. I learned how to make something direct, but not too direct. I learned technical and conceptual skills from my friends and got mini peer critiques throughout the process. Instead of the Professors helping us, we helped each other. A lot of the students (including myself) struggled with the photography and photoshopping aspects. I got some help from my professors in the photo editing part of my project, but my folding technique was self-taught. I had built up my own system of how I folded the clothes (how I shaped the serifs and how I filled the stems). I had to fiddle and figure out how to use the camera as well. A lot of last minute problems took a lot of strength and patience to handle. The main thing I learnt?
Please manage your time better, future-self. EVERYTHING just WANTS to go wrong at the last minute. Keep time in your hand in anticipation of these things. And keep a cool head. Panicking and crying doesn’t help get the work get completed.
If I had more time, I would most likely experiment more with the shadows and composition. Although I like the balance of my overall image right now (the way the type is positioned with the sofa, suitcase and scattered clothes arranged around it in a triadic kind of way), I would want to try scattering some more clothes clothes around the letters, coming in from more of the blank space that is around the edges of the composition. I probably wouldn’t stick to those changes, but I would want to try it. Something that really bothers me is the carpet. I want to be able to tile it better, so that the pattern is barely detectable.