I started created the letters I planned to use on my final, following through with my ‘themes’ of packing plan.
Here are some of the ways I coped with conforming to the type in an obsessive way:
^ While working I noticed these FINE areas of straight edges, where bowls met stems, for example. They’re unnoticeable at a normal, reading scale, even when scaled up to the size that I scaled them up to, they were less than a cm in length.
^ I finally found some use of my sister’s MAC lipsticks collection.
Also, when stuff refuses to conform…use blue-tack.
I shot photographs with raw photographs, so that I could have large images that wouldn’t pixelate (and so that editing the lighting and proportions would be better).
I had to alter my camera angle each time, because the e was shot at a top angle, but the other letters were too large to be shot at a similar angle with my tripod. I had it extended to the max, even the legs were barely spread (it was very unstable). I decided to keep both photos, just in case.
I experimented with different settings to get the best lighting.
I also shot photos in flash and without. The flash made the letter bright, but it also flattened out the shadows (left). I could edit the brightness of the non-flash photo (right) to make it brighter AND retain the dimension.
I struggled with the lighting of the ‘abaya’ letters, because of the dark material. I’m still unsure of how dark or light to keep the fabric (and how much contrast it should have)
When photoshopping, my Professor recommended me to use the pen tool.
I felt like combining the quick selection, quick mask and magic wand tool was better and more efficient at selecting the folds of the materials. The magic want tool was especially handy when it came to things like the towels fibres.