I’d gone of on a tangent with the first idea, so I decided to come back to the idea that I had when I was looking at my sister’s Jenga blocks.
^Cut out most of the boy, to keep just a slight outline and changed the black to a lighter colour
^ Liquifying wasn’t working, it kept ruining the quality of the scan.
^ Went back to this version
^Tried to efficiently select the twigs using the method I learnt from the double exposure video
^ started by arranging them in a circular way
^ The tiniest adjustments made it conform to the keyhole shape.
^Used the burn tool to bring out the colour of the face (otherwise it got hidden in the twigs)
^Tried a different colour (even tried adding the motion blur/wood
specks to the grey). Didn’t look as good
^ Added motion blur specks on to the scanned wood grain, it BARELY made a difference. You can’t even tell which one has the extra details and which one doesn’t